FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:18 am
Arazia

Programs: American Airlines: Platinum, Hilton Honors: Gold, Hyatt: Discoverist
Newbie question here:

I have only just qualified for status this year (currently Platinum). Myself and two of my friends have a trip credit from a group trip we took earlier in the year (approximately $53 each). We'd like to use it for a trip in January before it expires.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm not sure how I can best use my status benefits /and/ the trip credits.

So, if we book together, I can get everyone MCE seats (a $220+ value for both companions) as well as the other benefits like earlier boarding, etc. However, if we book together, I cannot use the trip credits as it only allows one credit per person. I contacted reservations and they said the only way to do it is to separate out each person into a separate ticket/purchase. But in doing so, wouldn't I lose the free MCE seat benefit since my friends do not have status?

I can't seem to find a way to use the 3x $53 credits ($159), without my friends having to pay extra for their MCE seats ($220)+. Has anyone run into this issue before that has any advice?