FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:20 am
psychopharmacist

Nut allergy fiasco

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Thank you my Love for articulating exactly what I am thinking. I am fed up to the back teeth with these people who sort of enforce on you their problem. I wish them no harm but they are in a minority and need to take that into their thinking. If your allergy is that acute, Madam, should you be travelling at all? Why should the majority of us be held hostage to the nut allergy - what next? All that said, maybe the airlines should try and avoid nut snacks in place of something else? Just a thought.
One would assume that if her allergy is that significant, she would be carrying an Epi-Pen.

I, too, have a problem with this issue, and I am in the medical field. And, I have family members who do have food allergies. I am familiar with the risks of allergies (rash, anaphylaxis, gastrointestinal problems, etc.)

Should this passenger also "require" that the airlines do a decontamination of nuts and nut powders that might remain from the previous flight?

Maybe the cleaning crew and the air crew should be decontaminated, also. Hey, while you are at it, perhaps the airports need to be decontaminated in case anyone brought nut powder in from home. Don't forget the seats in the waiting areas and the restrooms and the boarding jet bridges.

One could suggest that the food vendors should also not be allowed to have potential allergy-producing products for sale.

Should the airlines avoid nut snacks though? Nope. Other snacks (crackers, dried fruit, etc.) might be processed in a manufactory that also processes nuts. To get snacks that are completely free of potential allergy-producing components is truly not only a monumental idea, but an impractical and impossible one.