FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you notice the small things in an ultra-luxury hotel?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:16 am
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If we're putting "nice to have's" in, the list is long. For me, it's becoming more and more essential as a "must have" for a property to:

Have proper damn labeling or explanations of dietary content in dishes. I'm lactose intolerant and don't want my dinner ruined by milk or cream. And the waiters hardly ever know what's actually IN the dishes. Properties that have addressed this best either
A) include good dietary labels (e.g. nuts/dairy/meat/etc) in the menu
B) have the waiters well trained to know what's in what
C) have a food&beverage concierge ready to assist
otherwise it often turns into a "does this have dairy?" "I'll go ask" -wait- "yes" "okay how about this" "...I'll go ask", rinse and repeat.

Also, having recently stayed at a property charging 4 digits per night with no in-room wifi: that. But that's not a small thing, that's a big thing. I simply didn't consider that...not having wifi was a possibility.

As for small things:

-staff remembering drink options (type of coffee & juices for breakfast, type of water, etc)
-staff coming by frequently to refill water. If I have to ask multiple times during a dinner for more water, that's just annoying. And yes, I like to stay hydrated.
-quality slippers of appropriate sizes! If I'm checking in somewhere with my (5'4) partner, finding two large slippers isn't helpful.
-if they find me in my room once at 9am, please don't come back every day at 9am since obviously that's when I'm in my room. Same for turndown service! Who does turndown service at 8pm anyway... If I tell staff I sleep early, then don't come back the next day at 8pm again.

Last edited by Smiley90; Sep 23, 2022 at 8:22 am