FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q regarding child turned 2 mid trip, airline says too bad, AC segment, UA ticket
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:50 am
tapuach

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Q regarding child turned 2 mid trip, airline says too bad, AC segment, UA ticket

a family member booked a RT for the entire family on UA stock YUL-EWR-TLV and return direct TLV-YUL flying AC metal.

a child in the family was under two before booking; he turned two mid-trip while in TLV.

no date changes were made to the ticket; they returned on the originally scheduled date.

A few days before his return, he happened to mention to me that his little one seems to drop off the reservation for the return. He called UA and they told his someone would get back to him and that he shouldn't worry; no one called back and make a long story short, he was told after multiple phone calls that with only one seat left on the flight, he'd better buy the last ticket (in premium) for the child-- or he would find his child, and by extension, himself, stuck without a way back.

I say be gentle because frequent flyers- myself included- would probably not have purchase such a ticket online, knowing things are complictaed in such situations-- but still, it seems to me, that if he purchased a ticket for a certain person with a known-to-airline birthday, and leaves as scheduled on all legs (as opposed to a ticket change which would trigger a different fare for an older age), it seems a bit desingenoius legally, for an airline to collect a fare, create a contract with a traveller, and then simply not allow them to board because of an age change? Surely, they could put on the website when you try to book a notice that says "PASSENGER AGE CHANGE DURING TRAVEL MAKES FARE UNSELLABLE" or such?

Had he known, and purchased (half or full) ticket for that child when he did all the others, he would have paid much less-- and in any case, I think that from a legal standpoint, airline acceptance of payment and no notice (and UA agents on the phone saying he would be fine not to worry) is unfair.

What is his best approach? the airline said "too bad." a DOT letter? small claims court?

Knowing I am the frequent flyer in the family, they have asked for advice- and saying "tough noogies" is not my preffered response.

Thank you for any help and suggestions.