FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:57 am
gudugan

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by UserMark
There had been some speculation that the $25 dining credit doesn't start till October 1st, but I can't find any evidence of that.
I see this in my Amex account, should be active

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Not joking - I don't spend anything on groceries, so the only real benefit would be the dining. The Amex Gold annual fee is worthless as I don't eat at the restaurants in the $120 credit, which would mean I'm out $130 (Uber credit would be usable).

In contrast, I could easily get $250 in value from a 50K cert, and I could get $15K spend by putting my Marriott stays on the Bevy (also for the 1K points per stay). However, I did just notice that the 4x on Restaurants and Groceries is only up to a combined $15K in spend - then, it goes to 2x. This probably wouldn't be an issue as I don't spend more than $15K on food yearly, but something to consider...
This is not a correct valuation, you have to take into account opportunity cost. Let's say you spend $15k in Marriott annually and $15k in food annually.
For Marriott spend you could spend it on an Amex Green at 3x MR or 5.1% return at 1.7cpp so $765. If you spend it on a Bevy you get 6x Marriott or 4.2% return at 0.7cpp so $630.

For food on the Amex green you get 3x MR or 5.1% so another $765. If you spend it on a Bevy you get 4x Marriott or 2.8% so $420.
Even if you count the Bevy as a $0 card with the FNC then you're still coming out $480 - $150 AF ahead on the Green, ignoring all of the Green credits. Same calculation applies to the Gold.