FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Headphone adapter?
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:35 am
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by karns
Thanks for replying! My headset has a single prong, which I want to plug into the place on the AVOD that the little airline headsets plug into. The problem is my prong is smaller than the one on the AVOD. The only adapters I can find are 2 prong, which I think are to used in that slot that used to be on the side of the seat. Which I don't think even exist anymore, at least on the newer planes. I want a single prong adapter that I can plug my headset into, which will fit in the one on the AVOD.
Does such a thing even exist?
Not quite sure there is a different single prong plug in the planes. Usually it's single, double or triple. The double prong adapters that come with some of the higher end headsets (eg, Boze/Sony) can be plugged into two of the triple holes to make it work (not sure what the smallest plug is for, but I assume it has something to do with orientation/stability). If it's a single hole (AC uses the single hole in economy for example), any 3.5mm plug should work.

My concern however would be the impedance. Some airlines (looking at you AC) have high impedance plugs(at least on the older planes) so you blow out your ears (and possibly your headphones) when they make an announcement and route it through the IFE and you're using your own headphones. Much worse if you fall asleep at the time. But that said, your headphones should work unless they're somehow using something like the old 2.5mm plugs (not sure who uses those anymore)