FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Capital One points transfer security delay issues.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:49 pm
moe8555

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Tried transfering a little under 100K points to Finnair about 8 hours ago. No points have shown up on the Finnair side thus far, and no perceived fraud issues on the C1 side, so my assumption is that Finnair transfers are not actually instant, as opposed to what the blogs say.

EDIT: Called CapitalOne and was told no issues on their end (no fraud block, etc.), and that in their systems it stipulates 48-72 hour for transfers to Finnair to fully complete. Kind of odd in every blog it says "instant." Has anyone recently done such a transfer?

EDIT 2: Also called Finnair, which said that there are no issues or flags on their end. After reviewing everything again, I noticed that I haven't yet received the email from Capital One saying that the miles are now ready to be used in the partner program, as I have always received for previous transfers. So that leads me to believe that the transfer is indeed still in progress and will probably take the 48-72 hours I was told by Capital One. Not thrilled, but there seems to be plenty of space for this particular redemption, so not overly worried (and I have a plan B in place if it doesn't work out).

FINAL EDIT: For posterity's sake, here is the final outcome of the situation: At around T+30 hours, I received an email from Cap1 saying the transfer failed, and I was welcome to try again. Indeed, the points were returned to my account and ready to use (which is far better than other issuers like Citi that make you wait 2 weeks...). Upon reviewing the redemption history, there was a remark along the lines of "general failure" in the line item for the failed transfer, which led me to believe that this was.... a "general" issue, and not some kind of block by either program :-). I then tried to transfer 1000 points, which posted to Finnair immediately. A subsequent transfer of the rest also posted immediately and the desired redemption has been booked.

Last edited by moe8555; Sep 22, 2022 at 12:50 am Reason: Update about final outcome