FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most luxurious African safari accommodations?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:20 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just finished 3 nights at Thabamati, in the Timbavati. Wow. Just wow. The camp is stunning - it's very small, only 4 luxury tents, so feels very intimate. And for 2 of the 3 nights, there was only one other couple there. Camp only opened 2 years ago, so everything looks and feels (and is!) brand new, but it's done very well - lots of natural tones and wood. Staff and rooms are excellent. Since it's winter, hot water bags were waiting for us both in the car for the morning drive and in bed for sleep. Small things like that. There's a herd of ~30 elephants that came by the dam in front of the lodge every day.

We saw probably around 30 lions and 4 leopards, including getting a whole video of them mating, with just us being the only car there to witness it. Absolutely brilliant. I'll post some pictures once I'm back, but for now we're off to Sabi Sands (Arathusa).

For only 800/night (per couple!), I can't see how a 5x more expensive camp can provide 5x the experience we just had, because it was flawless.

Thanks for posting, there are so many lodges and it is so hard to sort through them so it is good to know of good luxury lodges that aren't 4000 USD a night. Will also love to hear about Arathusa as that is in the same price point at around 1000 USD a night.