FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MLLs - information & experiences (July 2022 onwards)
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:04 pm
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not going to create a scene, but I'm certainly not happy about not having MLL access given that I'm usually an SE MM in J with a premium credit card. How many different ways can I pay for something and still be told "nope, sorry"?
But you wouldn't be in that scenario since the proposal was for one-time-use vouchers to be "shifted" by three months. As a J or SEMM you would still have access.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think that's a reasonable option, but you (and I) don't know whether one-time use passes are causing much issue.

When the SFO Polaris Lounge was under construction, and the old GFL had been rebranded to a "premium cabin lounge" (i.e. everyone flying to another country in J or F had access, but status did not get you in), when there was a line, they were offering meal vouchers in lieu of actually going in. AC could do that. But it's a very different value proposition to offer a J pax a $25 voucher than it is to offer it for a one-time-use pass that cost the passenger $20. Or even to someone with status. Taking a $25 write-down on a J pax because you have capacity issues sucks, but taking it for some 35K flying Basic Economy is just not something I think they'd consider.
I suspect that credit cards and other passes are just part of the entry problem at the moment. That said, I suspect they could probably better utilize the space at the terminal (At least YYZ). I can't speak to it right now (not having stepped into any airport since the pandemic started) but I'm pretty sure you could do something better with the two "wings" in terminal one (as an example). Bunch of seats and a Tims on one side and I don't even remember who was on the other (vending machine?). Those spaces were always under utilized. And don't get me started on that "sculpture". Seriously though, RFP to have another contract lounge on either side (unless Plaza has an exclusivity contract). Or maybe figure out how to link the MLL to the other "wing" (at least for international).

I find part of the problem (especially in Canada) is that the relevant authorities are always slow to act and do not forward think a lot of things. Post-Covid-Blues issues aside, They should already have considered another (larger) terminal and possibly more uses for the space they're occupying. How many other places had plans that were in the works years ago now? Beijing? Singapore? I know there were a few airports in the US that started refurbishing years ago to increase capacity (which would likely also use bigger lounges).

As for the value of the voucher, I have no problem with giving a J passenger a bit more. A one time pass converted into a restaurant voucher of equivalent value (or maybe a bit more for the inconvenience) would be good for the PR. If it's like $30 for the OTV and maybe $50 for a J/status... Pretty sure AC can make arrangements with the various establishments within airside to get a bit of a discount. And if you only make them available during overcrowded periods, I think it would not cost too much more and as population control, not too bad.