FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AY Schengen lounge at HEL
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:59 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lkrt
The questions reminded me of my product development courses in uni telling to be very wary of these kind of questions ("Would you buy x / pay for x?") since people tend to overestimate there willingness to buy...
.. or in the case of goods/service that are free or percieved to be free: Then people tend to exaggerate their refusal to pay. E.g. would you pay for news online, for using a road.

I suddenly remember a similar "survey" but with much better scientific value. Finnair wanted to know how customers reacted to unbundled fares, ticket types with included services and ancillary serives. So they created a survey that was a fake booking engine and you had to chose between 3 options for each case. And they went through all iterations, ie even setting seemingly insane (high price, few services) up as choices. They also tested out different price-points, ie what would you chose in case base price was low (like when buying many months in advande) adn when base price was high (like when buying a week in advande). All looked like you were bying tickets, and I believe they did not actually try to prove a thesis, but to actually understand what the value was for different ticket types in different scenarios.

Last edited by intuition; Sep 13, 2022 at 11:43 am