FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ORD Terminal 5 discussion (more recent posts)
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:34 am
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
First one is related to arrival at T5. I'm wondering how long it is likely to take to carry out the necessary arrival formalities (immigration/customs) on arrival at that time of the evening? I am a UK citizen, travelling on an ESTA. I have traveled to the USA previously on this passport - biometrics have been taken. If I choose to check a bag, will I likely be waiting a long time for this to be offloaded and to appear at the reclaim?
I've done it twice in the last few months. The first time there was a line that wrapped multiple times around the terminal and probably took the poor people in it 2-3 hours. I have Global Entry so was able to skip the line. This past Monday when I arrived there was no line and virtually all passport inspection lanes were open. It appears they have fixed things. Bags took the usual 10-15 mins to start showing up. Pay attention to the announcement in the plane when you arrive as to which carousel your bags will be at. Our bags showed up on the carousel they announced but the TV monitors didn't show anything for our flight.

I'm staying at the new Hilton Garden Inn opposite Willis Tower. I've looked at the CTA map, and it's not far, 4 blocks or so, from Jackson Blue Line Station. Is that likely to be my best way to get to the hotel from ORD? Is it straightforward getting tickets. Will it be busy at that time in the evening?
If you don't mind carrying your bags the four blocks, the Blue line is the easiest and cheapest way downtown. Just tap a credit card at the turnstiles to get into the El. I think they charge $5 for trips originating at O'hare but the standard fee otherwise is $2.50. The station is under Terminal 2 - just take the ATS to terminal 2 and follow signs for "Trains to City". It's about a 40 minute ride to Jackson. The train will be empty when you board since the ORD station is the end of the line.

Given the arrival time, I'm likely to be hungry when I arrive. Is there likely to be anywhere where I can grab a bite to eat after immigration/customs? Or is it just vending machines - I get the impression T5 is not great for food.
I wasn't looking for food a few days ago but I do remember a Starbucks after leaving the customs area. Probably better options when you get to your hotel if you can wait.

I'm returning home 9:15 on the Monday night. I've read here that there isn't much to be eating at T5. Is it straightforward to be moving between terminals at ORD, or am I best off eating in the Loop before setting off for the airport. How long do I need to leave in order to arrive at the airport on time?
Terminal 5 is a little distant from the others; you need to take the ATS train from Terminal 5 to Terminals 1-3. The ATS is outside security. I think there used to be an airside bus from terminal 5 to others but I don't know if it's running these days. The Blue line from downtown is, as mentioned above, about a 40 minute ride to ORD.