FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:50 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I also have the screen shot of them willing to sell seats in both Y and J as the door closed -- and the list of people on standby for the flight that didn't make it -- and I saw some of the 7 empty seats -- they weren't inop... I guess it's possible that someone from tomorrow left SJU early -- but there were no more UA flights that day -- the final flight of the day left before our delayed flight - so no more displaced passengers as the other two flights went out full on on time???

I think that it's most likely they didn't run the list -- or just didn't care - not sure which is worse.... This is the reason I took the screen shot of the list moving from 37 to 38 - AFTER the last flight had left -- doesn't make sense to me unless someone decided to leave a full day early -- but they still should have upgraded my wife....
I was suggesting that one seat in J could have been in-op, although I agree that’s not reflected in what you’re seeing. (They should have blocked that seat, meaning it should have shown 39/39). So, yes, I’d say your wife probably should have been upgraded.

But if they were selling seats, then someone could have bought one — either someone with an immediate need to get back to the mainland, or somebody lower down on the list deciding to buy up.

7 names on the standby list does not mean 7 passengers waiting to get onto the flight. If the passengers were not in the boarding area ready to go, they won’t get on — simple as that. It’s possible to list for standby while you’re still at home, after all. So it’s standard procedure not to clear the standby list without checking with each passenger to see if they want to get onto the flight.