FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:20 pm
storewanderer

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm still not sure what the pre-merger 7-Eleven locations will do on the pump side. Other than like two or three I've ever seen with EMV (and no contactless), none of the pumps have been updated. Hopefully they just go with NCR Optic (like Speedway has) as that works reasonably well (minus AmEx).
Actually their plan is to transition all of Speedway (corporate sites) onto the 7-Eleven systems. I've actually seen one site down near Redondo Beach which was branded Arco on fuel (wasn't rebranded to Speedway) and had EMV, converted to 7-Eleven and they SHUT OFF the EMV at the pumps and shifted them back to swipe when they installed the 7-Eleven systems. Below I describe some 7-Elevens with the SAME EXACT PUMPS and SAME EXACT CARD READERS that have EMV turned on. They don't have a clue what they are doing, they are unbelievably inept. I have not yet seen them remove any of the NCR Optic equipment so maybe that is a positive sign but I have little confidence in them.

About 15% of 7-Eleven locations in my area have EMV. All have 7-Eleven branded fuel. All of these sites have working Contactless in the store as well, at this time. There are two locations that actually software updated existing EMV ready equipment (~4 year old Gilbarco pumps with the vertical EMV readers that are no longer being installed) pumps to make EMV work (these two locations did not have Contactless working inside for a number of years when the other locations did). Four other locations, have gotten new Gilbarco pumps to get the EMV with the Verifone horizontal pump card readers. These all seem to be using 7-Eleven's typical register software and have a very slow EMV with zip code prompt functioning. No Contactless in sight on any pumps.

There is another 7-Eleven very remote location that they recently bought from a small group and don't have any 7-Eleven signs up but did bring it on to 7-Eleven systems. This has newer Gilbarco pumps with the Verifone EMV readers on the pumps and NFC readers. The NFC readers have never worked on the pumps (the station previously used Radiant but did not have EMV turned on). This one has a typical 7-Eleven cash register in the store for merchandise sales and accepts Contactless in the store. However the gas pumps are connected to a different cash register, a Gilbarco register. EMV is turned on and the receipt looks like a standard Gilbarco system receipt and it is running on 7-Eleven's network. This one does not have the zip code prompt but that may be due to the location (very rural).

There are also a few 7-Elevens around Sacramento that have 76 branded fuel and the EMV has been turned on at most of those sites. Zip code prompt remains in place and no Contactless. Contactless also is not allowed to be used inside the store, it does not work. This 76 payment system seems to be absolutely terrible with no Contactless in the store and a zip code prompt on the pump with EMV. Odd as other 76 sites have Contactless that works so I have to think these are 7-Eleven problems. They have the typical 7-Eleven cash register but the payment part of the receipt looks different and they have Verifone pinpads in the store. Some of these have Wayne pumps.