FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:20 pm
alan11

Originally Posted by Steve M
The requirement is stated simply and means what it says. The only requirement is that be valid upon arrival. It doesn't even say "through period of intended stay" as it does for some countries. Compare this with what is on file for France - this is how TIMATIC will state such requirements:
Actually, you are correct about no 6 months (sorry to anyone for the false info! ) . I sought out the Japanese gov's actual immigration site and it says valid during the length of stay (so it does mean no intention of passport renewal while in Japan), and on the Japanese embassy of Australian website I found it specifically:

Q. Do I need at least six months validity left on my passport to enter Japan?
A. The remaining period of validity on your passport does not have to be at least six months. Please ensure your passport is valid for your trip and return. We recommend that you check the regulations of your airline before travelling with less than six months passport validity.
https://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_faq_en.html

As far as necessary timeframes of validity for visa issuance (which can be utilized usually up to 3 months thereafter), again, the embassy or consulate should be contacted since this info isn't explicitly stated anywhere I checked (but I would imagine they might indeed ask for 6 months from date of visa issue with a 90 day visa, which if maxxed out on a 3 month post-issue departure would then equal 6 months. But who knows with these new tourist visas, I heard they were only giving 30 day visas.)

(Steve, I edited my original post above regarding the correction)

Last edited by alan11; Sep 4, 2022 at 12:13 am