FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)
Old Sep 3, 2022, 8:17 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by alan11
Before Covid, 6 months validity on entry was needed for visa-waiver tourists.
I don't believe that to be true.

What Steve M says above is true about having a valid passport on both entry and departure, but a tourist definitely can not intend to renew their passport while in Japan (other than if it was lost and replaced while in the country by their embassy) That he was somehow allowed to enter with 2 week validity is an anomaly and shouldn't be expected to be OK.
I just checked TIMATIC for Japan, and it confirmed my understanding:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.

The requirement is stated simply and means what it says. The only requirement is that be valid upon arrival. It doesn't even say "through period of intended stay" as it does for some countries. Compare this with what is on file for France - this is how TIMATIC will state such requirements:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 3 months beyond the period of intended stay.

I don't think I was "somehow allowed" to enter with 2 weeks' validity. I was allowed to enter because I met the requirements.