FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is BA not playing the safety video anymore?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:04 am
MFCC

Originally Posted by Misco60
I think the number of passengers who pay attention to the safety demonstration, whether manual or video, is very small. The problem is that the important parts of the message, such as where to find your life jacket and how to exit the aircraft safely in an emergency, are lost amongst the waffle and the stating of the obvious. There cannot, for example, be a single person on board who does not know how to fasten and unfasten a safety belt, or that smoking is not permitted on board.

Airlines - all airlines, not just BA - really need to rethink the safety demonstration and come up with something short and succinct that will keep passengers' attention long enough for them to understand the procedures to be followed in an emergency.
It's done to specific CAA/EASA requirements. I assume the FAA does the same in the US. Things like fastening and unfastening belts have to be included - BA has no choice in the matter.
However I think you'd be surprised at how many don't know how to do the belt up...