FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:15 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I'm curious if the group that got skipped over was at the gate area when the other passengers were offered/accept the upgrade. OPUPs should be prioritized by status, but because it was an oversale situation and the associated reporting requirements they can't clear the upgrade list to relieve the oversale (upgrades to relieve an oversale situation still have to be reported on an oversale report for the flight). DOT requires that anyone accepting compensation (which an upgrade is compensation) to relieve an oversale must be informed that their cabin is oversold, and that they may be eligible for denied boarding compensation, before making the decision to accept. This would require the gate agent to call the person up to the podium and that the passenger accepts the upgrade. But they aren't going to wait until boarding starts to resolve an oversale, they're going to address it as soon as the flight is being worked. Very well possible the higher status passengers were called but if they weren't in the gate area yet, might have then been skipped over.
Originally Posted by fumje
Except it's reported that the higher status pax also actively requested the upgrade by applying an instrument. That shouldn't require positive confirmation, and it's definitely not standard procedure to have your upgrade request forfeit if you don't hear the GA calling you.

Additionally, when I've gotten op-up, all that happened was my seat assignment and app boarding pass were changed in the background while I sat in the lounge.
There might be "rules" (where are they written and are agents even trained on them?) and then there's reality. What (most) agents do is process the upgrade list, clear the seats they can in PremPlus and then, viola, no longer oversold but likely booked to capacity with a seat assignment for everyone. Processing the upgrade list is a standard procedure and should be followed. Also means the PremPlus cabin is no longer oversold and I doubt any report has to be filed. Of course if there aren't enough upgrades requested to clear into J then OpUps apply and the cabin would still be considered oversold.

I have never once been called up to a gate to be told about my rights during an OpUp, just like @fumje. One of two things happens: 1) I notice it in the app and my mobile BP is updated; 2) I scan my original BP, I hear a beep, agent tells me I have a new seat assignment. What they have to do in the background to "report an oversale" is not something the flyer is going to know or understand. And why would they have to explain my rights? Because if I decline the upgrade they're going to pay me IDB and bump me to coach? Or bump me to the next available routing in the cabin I booked and still have to pay me IDB?

My last OpUp was EWR-NRT. I booked what was already an oversold PremPlus cabin the day before departure on an "A" fare I believe. BP said "See Agent". Checked in at the desk and they told me to just wait. I don't honestly remember what the upgrade list looked like but IIRC all revenue pax were processed. Two of us then got assigned seats in J who were booked in PremPlus. No PlusPoints required but the OpUp was handled by status (1K at the time as well).

-RM