FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How AA is taking EXP Executive Platinum members for granted
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:41 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by shaumama
I have been an EXP member for 10+ years. Little did I know how I have been taken for granted and for a ride by AA all these time until a most recent incident. I have requested for an upgrade from main cabin to business class on an upcoming trip to London. AA EXP support desk told me it will take 12,500 miles and $375 for the upgrade, and I will likely not find out whether I will be upgraded until the day of travel which is September 31, 2022. Two days ago, my travel companion, who has no status with AA, was offered an upgrade to business for $315. I called EXP desk and I was told that I would not like the answer - it makes sense for AA to let random people try their business class than to upgrade an already loyal customer who is spending $15000+ per year with AA, AND would be charged MORE for the upgrade. Now I understand why my hard earned Systemwide upgrades would seldom ever yield any upgrade!!! It is cruel awakening and incredulous to know this is how AA operates - totally taking their most loyal customers for granted, and counting on us not knowing any better and will stay with AA. THEY ARE WRONG!!! I have endured the incompetent performances of AA for far too long compared to other airlines. This is the last straw that broke the camel's back. Delta treats their top tier customers far better. Their Systemwide upgrades are applied as long as there is a seat available when requested. Delta has far far better equipment and service delivery. I am looking for a match to Delta and will say goodbye to AA that has gone from a world class airline to a discounted mentality airline when Doug Parker took over with his fame to cut cost and operating a discount airline. I already knew nothing good will come out of Doug Parker when he was named. His hand picked successor Rober Isom will likely continue to sing the same tune.
Be careful about DL's upgrade rules. In most situations, specific upgrade inventory is required, and it's capacity controlled by revenue management.