FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:49 am
be_rettSEA

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I am MVP Gold. My spouse is MVP.
1) If we book a simple one-way economy alaska metal flight Seattle-Anchorage direct, leaving at 7am, *using american airline miles* (and put our alaska-status in the reservation) - 24 hours in advance will we be allowed to do a same-day-change to a flight later in the day (if seats are available)? Will I have to pay a change fee even if I'm mvp gold, since this is bought using aa miles? I assume my spouse as mvp will have to pay a change fee even though he is on same reservation?

2) What if i use alaska miles to book XXX-SEA (stopover, fly this segment) SEA-ANC on the same 7am flight. Since I have already flown the first segment on this alaska-award-mileage flight, are there any issues doing a same-day-change to a later flight (if seats available)? I assume here since i'm using my mvp-gold miles, i don't have to pay anything for same-day-change?

I understand this will be simpler if i used alaska miles, but in this case for some reason the aa mileage cost is very favorable (its not a web-special/basic, just a standard award). And if i do an alaska mileage cost i'd like to bake in a stopover to get some use out of ity is
1) I believe a workaround for this would be to use your AA miles to book, but instead of booking as "you" as one of the travelers, create a new passenger profile that is you, but with your AS MP# listed instead. Then the miles come out of your AA, but are booked for you as an MVPG.. The SDC policy page indicates "The same day confirmed change fee is waived for MVP® Gold, MVP Gold 75K and MVP Gold 100K Mileage Plan™ members and American AAdvantage® ConciergeKey, Executive Platinum, and Platinum Pro members. The fee is also waived for those traveling in the same reservation." It does not indicate the booking must be purchased with AS to qualify for SDC, but I'm not sure whether it being issued by AA would lead to any headaches in making the change.

2) Flying one segment on a reservation doesn't prevent you from SDCing on a later segment as far as I am aware. You'd be eligible for SDC (along w/ your companion) as an MVPG regardless if cash fare or award.