FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:44 pm
LowValueCustomer

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Ask the agent if there is availability to apply an SWU. If the agent says yes, choose your SWU and then book the ticket with the agent over the phone. I don't understand the issue. Is the agent obfuscating the fact whether there is availability because you don't have an SWU in your account? If that's the case, hang up and call again. The agent should tell you whether there's availability SWU or not. And for the agent to suggest a mileage upgrade, that suggests to me that C class space is available and therefore you can upgrade vis-a-vis an SWU.
Yes, that was the issue. I didn't want to HUCA because the agent was in the middle of rebooking a ticket with a 7/31 expired SWU attached. The question related to the return segment; agent apparently applied the SWU to the outbound but initially wouldn't let me know whether the return was available because I "didn't have an SWU available." At that point I was sort of trapped because I didn't want to do anything that would put the expired SWU at risk.

I eventually got it sorted with her, though, after about 40 minutes...