FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgraded from first
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:14 pm
longing4piedmont

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by renalt130
These are the rules taken from the US website. I'm supposed to be able to see that this is actually a coach ticket? Get real.
My apologies to renalt130. Given the fare rules posted you have every right to be upset and my comments were off base and uncalled for. I've always known that "A" were considered upgraded coach, but don't ask me how unless it was the link JC provided. (maybe it was my experiences on DL where they made it clear twice that "A" fares were upgraded coach). There is absolutely no indications in these fare rules that this is not a "F" ticket.

That being said the "A" fares are almost always the same price as the discount coach fares without the restrictions associated with change fees, etc. Given what was most likely paid for the ticket vs a coach ticket I'm not sure that there is refund due from this angle. "A" fares are a great way for individuals with no status to upgrade for a reasonable cost.

If US follows the same process in bumping that they do in upgrading at the gate (i.e. wait list). fare has nothing to do with the decision who gets upgraded. A CP on the cheapest of roach fares will trump a GP or less on a full fare Y ticket. Once you get to the gate, status is everything. The only time a full fare ticket trumps a CP or GP is when there is inventory in the 'P" bucket coming into the process at the gate. If "P" is gone. the full fare Y ticket is going to be sitting in coach.

I'm guessing, but do not know for sure, that the process works in reverse as well. If someone has to be bumped, for what ever reason, the CP's are going to be protected regardless of the fare they paid. (Being a CP with well over a 100 segments on US I can't say that I disagree with this policy. ) I'm guessing that renalt has no status on US and possibly no UA status either. If this is the case, I think US is going to start with those without status first and work their way up the ranks of the preferred members. Doesn't make it right, but I'm guessing this is the way it works.

Now back to the OP. Given the fares do not mention in any way that is a coach fare, US may not feel they have an obligation here, but at the very least a confirmed space positive upgrade should be provided, even if it was an air marshal who got the seat.

Again my apologies to renalt130.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Dec 2, 2004 at 8:54 pm