FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Aug 24, 2022, 11:10 am
ghsbass0406

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
On the phone now trying to confirm SWU availability (showing on EF, but I don't want to select my choice award unless I'm certain that it hasn't disappeared, etc.), and I keep getting lectured by the AAgent: "I can't apply an upgrade unless you have one available, and you don't have any, sir! Do you want me to pull the inventory for a cash + miles copay? No sir, we don't have choice awards, I don't know what that is, that's a different airline. Here on American, we only have SWUs or cash + miles upgrades, I'm sorry." 🙄🙄
Ask the agent if there is availability to apply an SWU. If the agent says yes, choose your SWU and then book the ticket with the agent over the phone. I don't understand the issue. Is the agent obfuscating the fact whether there is availability because you don't have an SWU in your account? If that's the case, hang up and call again. The agent should tell you whether there's availability SWU or not. And for the agent to suggest a mileage upgrade, that suggests to me that C class space is available and therefore you can upgrade vis-a-vis an SWU.