FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:42 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
I wasn’t trying to circumvent anything — I was trying to book a multi-segment trip with a stopover, like I’ve done many times before. Only difference here was the two segments were same day.

Thanks. That’s very helpful. In fact the current stopover time is just under 4 hours, which apparently explains why after I booked it UA is treating it like IAD-IAH with a connection rather than a multi-segment with a stopover which is the way I tried to book it.
I don't think so. The 4-hour rule has to do with the way fares are calculated. It has nothing to do with the way bags are checked. Neither does booking it aa "multi-city," which just controls inventory.

Any transfer that is not either (a) overnight or (b) more than 12 hours long will result in the bag being checked through, unless you are returning to the departure city that same day, in which case UA will pick a destination for you. I believe they use the longest stop.

Originally Posted by st530
Does anyone know how UA would treat a checked bag on IAD-MIA/FLL-IAH, same ticket with a less than 4-hour stopover time?
Your bag would be checked to MIA in this scenario. Of course, then you'd have very little time to get to your condo and then to FLL.

Is UPS not an option? It's likely that you're paying a fairly significant price premium over what WAS-HOU would cost on its own.