FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:23 pm
st530

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You should have booked two separate tickets, not multiple segments on the same PNR with that short layover.

Unfortunately, your trying to circumvent a single-ticket short-checking rule while trying to keep the other benefits (ie IRROPs handling, maybe pricing, etc)
I wasn’t trying to circumvent anything — I was trying to book a multi-segment trip with a stopover, like I’ve done many times before. Only difference here was the two segments were same day.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You need to be more specific, as greater than 4 hours creates a stop (domestic flights). Less than four on this is a domestic connection and a one-way IAD-MIA-IAH, with check thru.

If under four hours, the bag check agent will have to override the computer. They may not be comfortable or familiar on how to do that
Thanks. That’s very helpful. In fact the current stopover time is just under 4 hours, which apparently explains why after I booked it UA is treating it like IAD-IAH with a connection rather than a multi-segment with a stopover which is the way I tried to book it.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do the same fares still exist? If so, rebook on 2 tickets. If you're doing this soon might also be a travel waiver for FL and you can move the 2nd segment to the following day, fly the first segment, then SDC back once you've claimed your bag.
Thanks for the ideas. It’s not till September 8.

Does anyone know how UA would treat a checked bag on IAD-MIA/FLL-IAH, same ticket with a less than 4-hour stopover time?