FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:13 pm
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by st530
I booked a multi-segment journey (IAD-MIA, MIA-IAH) on the same day with a 4-hour time lag in MIA with the specific intention of being able to check the bag only to MIA so I could offload it at my condo there before returning to the airport to go to IAH. Yet after I ticketed it, UA is considering it IAD-IAH with a "connection" in MIA. In this scenario, will they still insist on checking it all the way through? Surely they would only check it to MIA if there was a day or two in between the flights. There is no way for me to prove to the IAD agent at check-in that I booked it as a multi-segment. Would it work if I switched it to IAD-MIA followed by FLL-IAH? (I'm assuming UA won't on its own ground-transfer a bag between MIA and FLL, though I suppose they could just put it on a MIA-IAH flight and tell me to pick it up at IAH.)
Do the same fares still exist? If so, rebook on 2 tickets. If you're doing this soon might also be a travel waiver for FL and you can move the 2nd segment to the following day, fly the first segment, then SDC back once you've claimed your bag.