FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:59 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by st530
I booked a multi-segment journey (IAD-MIA, MIA-IAH) on the same day with a 4-hour time lag in MIA with the specific intention of being able to check the bag only to MIA so I could offload it at my condo there before returning to the airport to go to IAH. Yet after I ticketed it, UA is considering it IAD-IAH with a "connection" in MIA. In this scenario, will they still insist on checking it all the way through? Surely they would only check it to MIA if there was a day or two in between the flights. There is no way for me to prove to the IAD agent at check-in that I booked it as a multi-segment. Would it work if I switched it to IAD-MIA followed by FLL-IAH? (I'm assuming UA won't on its own ground-transfer a bag between MIA and FLL, though I suppose they could just put it on a MIA-IAH flight and tell me to pick it up at IAH.)
You should have booked two separate tickets, not multiple segments on the same PNR with that short layover.

Unfortunately, your trying to circumvent a single-ticket short-checking rule while trying to keep the other benefits (ie IRROPs handling, maybe pricing, etc)

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 20, 2022 at 4:06 pm