FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does data privacy equal no common sense?
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:11 am
megaloman

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
An observation, and a bit of a rant.

I’ve had several interactions with the GGL helpline in recent weeks.

It’s fair that for every new interaction, I’m asked to confirm my name, BAEC number, email address, first line of my address with postcode, and last 4 digits of my saved credit card and expiry date. After all BA is presumably extra cautious after the data breach incident of some years back.

But there was an occasion, while I was mid-conversation with someone, the line got abruptly terminated, I called back right after and spoke to the SAME person (who recognised me immediately, and was fully aware that the line was dropped barely 2 minutes earlier) - yet she required me to go through the rigmarole of repeating the same verification information.

And on another occasion, after hanging up the phone with another person, I noticed that he had typed my email address for a booking incorrectly (even though my email address was recorded correctly in my BAEC account, and I had earlier confirmed that he should use that for all booking related correspondences). So I immediately called back, and got through to the SAME person, who again recognised me (after all we only just spent the past 40 minutes in a conversation to make the booking). He clearly understood that he’s made a typo error - yet required me to go through the same security verification the second time round before he would correct an error - that he had personally made!

Do operational procedures trump common sense these days?
BA does not understand what their obligations from the GDPR are. My bank asks less questions when I want to speak to them.
BA also does not want to invest in better / more robust system of authentication - I'd happily enter my membership number, then my secret pass code, and then be connected with a right agent - seems to be too much for BA.