FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin experience post COVID
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:59 pm
astonmartinv8

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Virgin experience post COVID

Some observations on the Virgin Australia experience vs pre-COVID. I travel SYD-BNE return every 2-3 weeks. Up on a weekday morning and back later in the week in the evening. I have had no luck upgrading or flying forward (in J) from the lounge this year (although I have purchased J and upgraded well in advance). Flights are generally full. J always seems full.

Kerbside lounge entry still closed at SYD/BNE.

On plane, no snacks in Y any more, and no wine (just tea, coffee, water). In J, the meal has certainly been downgraded. Water or orange juice pre-takeoff. Breakfast is two choices, with a small side pastry and coffee/tea. No cereals. Dinner is also two choices, but with a "desert" of a plastic cheese/cracker pack. No salad, no desert, no bread. Sparkling wine or water served pre-takeoff. Wine with dinner. With dinner, food seems a little bit sparse.

The lounge experience is once again similar to pre-COVID. You can get your own food again. Generally good range. Baristas are back. Wine and beer all there.

Much better than during COVID (no surprise) but no kerbside entry, not being able to fly forward in J, not being able to upgrade in lounge and the downgrade in on-board food is definitely noticeable. I have a fair bit of loyalty, but it does make you wonder about the competition.