FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $16 to earn 1000 miles on credit card?
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:19 am
Sime

Programs: QF WP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aaronx88
I am wondering if you will be willing to pay up to $16 to earn 1000 miles? This is because there are this rental rewards company that charges 1.6% for rent paying using credit cards.
You mean pay $1016 to earn 1000 miles don't you ? 1 point per $ on your credit card ($1000 = 1000 miles) and a 1.6% charge (= $16) for the privelage of earning miles for paying your rent.

Think of it this way.

To get a return flight SYD-ADL, you (currently) need 20,000 points ... this would mean 20*16 = $320 extra you have paid to get these points.

So the question would be - is $320 a reasonable amount to pay for a free return flight between Sydney and Adelaide (or your other favourite desitination) ?? I would suggest it's quite a bit to pay myself - especially given you can usually get more flexibility in flight times if you are paying Red e-Deal rates. Then again, it's still relatively difficult to get flights for less than $160 one way unless you are booking quite a way in advance.

Might be better to save the extra money you would have to pay to earn the points and use it to buy tickets directly (for which you would earn a minimum 2,000 points anyway for a return flight !!).

Last edited by Sime; Dec 2, 2004 at 7:22 am