FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:22 am
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by antonius66
I'm frankly astonished at the number of people voting for 5k points. Unless you don't stay in the US, $100 is always a no brainer to me. You can almost always buy points from Hyatt on sale for 5k points for 85 to 93 USD, so $100 is the winner, especially since it earns 650 points (as a glob) on top of the 100 dollars.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Exactly.

And if some people say "but I get 2.5 cents when I spend my points", they demonstrate even less mathematical ability...

But to be slightly fair, there is a larger and larger segment of this hobby who only understand points as a credit card reward. So the idea of saving $100 today (while still earning 650 points as a Glob) and spending that $100 tomorrow to buy nearly 6,000 points --> completely illogical. (despite the clear and obvious benefit)
Well... part of the reason the American economy is what it is and loyalty programs are as successful as they are, relates to the fact that most people are mathematically challenged.

The amount of money, time, resources, tearing of clothes, and gnashing of teeth than many FTers put into the pursuit of "free" hotel breakfast and telling themselves they are "saving" $1000+ per night on an upgraded suite that they never actually would in fact pay for never ceases to amaze me...

Regards