FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:32 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Blumie
The reason so many of us park in short-term parking:

I had a 7am flight on Friday and a return flight late Sunday night. I parked in the short-term lot around 5:45am on Friday, this time securing a spot on the 4th level (i.e., adjacent to the walkway directly to the terminal) and was in the lounge for coffee and breakfast before 6am.

My return flight was just over an hour late, arriving at 1:02am on Sunday night/Monday morning. I was first out of the plane, walked the length of the terminal and up to the departures level, got to my car in the garage, drove from the 4th level down to the first, paid for three days’ parking ($66, a little cheaper than a round-trip Uber or taxi), and was at home in mid-city/bayou St. John (I think technically it’s bayou St. John based on official maps I’ve seen, but I’m uncomfortable saying that since I’m on the wrong side of Orleans Avenue!), and in my home at 1:27am, exactly 25 minutes after the aircraft door opened.
The neighborhood associations use Orleans as the boundary, but the City Planning Commission says the boundary is St Louis St. So take your pick.

As far as parking, the short term garage provides on average the closest parking spots. But if you get lucky, I think the best spots in the long term garage and even the surface lot are closer than the best spots in long term, especially if you measure distance from TSA or baggage claim.