FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:25 am
SAWorldVoyager

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Originally Posted by Agent69
Can't help but think that QR needs Airbus more than Airbus need QR.

If QR need new aircraft from any source in the near future they will have to pay through the nose for them.
As things stand I agree with you. However, I do think we as the flying public should play more of an active role. The following bullet points are pertinent for me.

1.) Initially Airbus publically denied the existence of a problem. With hindsight, we know this was a false assertion at the time.
2.) They then publically blamed the harsh mid-east conditions and made it to be a 'Qatar only' problem. This while knowing the same issues existed at other airlines with hulls that have never been anywhere near the desert. The havent ever commented in a meaningfull way to the reuters articles, and thus on pt2 they again found to be dishonest.
3.) They then quite publically said it was a minor cosmetic paint imperfections, and put the PR teams to work to make out as if Qatar was trying to get compensation during the covid slow down. Quite frankly the only airline that really kept flying was Qatar, and the latest results show same. There is no meaningfull evidence to suggest Qatar was purely seeking compensation to keep them afloat during Covid. Dishonest again.
4.) Qatar was put into a corner to publically show video of the "minor cosmetic paint imperfections" - which admittedly as a layman dont look minor, nor cosmetic to me. As a layman again Airbus appears dishonest.
5.) They are relying on EU regulators deeming the plane to be safe. I'm not sure I want to 100% take their assurances, when the EU, its members, and its citizens is heavily 'invested' in the success of Airbus. This while simultaneously claiming the Qatari regulator is invested and thus their opinion must be completely ignored. if that were valid, well then so should their regulator be ignored. Seems a case of the pot calling the kettle black again, and far from ethical, another immorality check point against Airbus.
6.) I know if I bought an automobile costing many thousand times less than an A350, an automobile which cannot fall out of the sky, I wouldnt tolerate even "minor cosmetic paint imperfections", why should Qatar having spent billions?
7.) Having flown most airlines globally, Qatar takes my experience as a passenger most seriously, one just needs to sit through ""five star"" Lufthansa business class seat for one long haul flight (the seat which is ideally suited for persons with one leg) to know the difference between caring for customers. Thus based on experienced behaviour alone Qatar in my experience is more likely to put me ahead of profits, something EU, and USA airlines (and to a lesser degree Asian carriers) are willing to do.
8.) Right now airbus isnt talking root cause or permanent fixes.
9.) As a customer we never win being held hostage to a duopoly.
10.) Airbus has been less than honest since moment one with public, they havent taken us into their confidence, and instead want to keep this well away from the public eye, to protect ego, shareprice and profit. Hardly someone I want in my corner.

I think we the flying public should choose to fly boeing only at present, and make it clear to airlines we are taking either the midday or the 2pm departure, because at 1pm they are operating an airbus plane, and airbus puts ego, profit and reputation ahead of our comfort, right to choice, and most importantly safety. Airbus will soon catch a wake up.

I know Airbus will counter argue "other airlines are willing to fly A350". However, are they willing to fly, or are they forced to fly?

Do other airlines have the resources to ground the planes, to make the naughty child that airbus is behave? If not, perhaps Qatar can afford to, and this again proves point 3 that Airbus is dishonest, and solidifies my view that Airbus and other carriers are willing to fly with less than perfect to protect revenue over safety. I expect when I do board a plane that is going to carry me thousands of feet above the ground through the air at hundreds of knots that the plane is 100%, not 99.99 with some minor imperfections. Hence on this matter, Im team Qatar, as much as I have always in the past preferred Airbus planes over Boeing. But right now, solely on the basis of Airbus behaviour, I am "if it aint Boeing I aint going"