FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Waiver: New York / Newark Severe Severe Weather (Aug 5, 2022 - Aug 10, 2022)
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:17 pm
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by rjburns
UA canceled all flights LGA - IAD. No space tomorrow. not one drop of rain in either IAD orLGA. Sure glad Congress gave the airlines $54 billion of your tax dollars
Originally Posted by flyme2
I flew UA3638 YUL-EWR this morning and we actually arrived early at 12:16. Took NJ Transit train to NY Penn and walked in sunshine to my hotel. No thunderstorm activity in Manhattan; mostly sunny with scattered clouds. This evening, after dinner, the sky was overcast.
The classic, well there's no weather where I'm at or where I'm going, so there's definitely no way it could be weather that was cancelling my flights. Ignores that the plane/crew used for those flights still travels all around the country before showing up to operate your specific flight (if only we could have dedicated planes/crews for every city pair AAA-BBB, that would solve this problem! ). And the decision definitely doesn't need to be made hours ahead of time to start cancelling flights based on forecasted conditions to avoid huge amounts of passengers getting cancelled after arriving at the airport (you think it's bad during IRROPs now, just imagine all the additional people who would be showing up to the airport....)

For reference here's the misery map, probably around 3-4 pm EDT, clearly large line of storms to the west which would be impacting any routes planes flying are going to be able to take. Or since it's slightly obscured, I also provided a radar view from a finalized flight(UA 2306, so the radar is from 522PM EDT).

Also guess the FAA was just bored and came up with 200+ advisories for reroutes, ground stops, ground delay plans, etc yesterday just for fun.
https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_list...te&Other=Other

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Aug 5, 2022 at 10:28 pm