FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMS Transfer Advice
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:59 am
HeyUpDuck

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Dear All,

Wasn't really sure where to post this so just picked my home forum ( admins please move if you know of a better home)

Whilst an FF of several years transfering isn't something we've ever done but finding such a great J deal on AY we couldn't turn it down. Looking for some advice on the process at the hell hole that is AMS and any hints and tips.

LGW-AMS on BA ( arriving 10:00 next flight not till 22:25 so come what may we've got time!)
AMS-HEL on AY
HEL-BKK on AY
BA & AY ticketed separately and neither BA or AY seem able to link/ associate the bookings.

We will have checked luggage as the trip is 3.5 weeks long. I know that BA won't through-check anymore but is there a way to avoid our luggage going to the arrivals hall, us having to pick it up and therefore having to clear into Amsterdam and then bag drop and queue to get back through security. If there isn't then as we'll have already checked in for the other flights will we be able to just bag drop and get to the lounge or is there a time-lock on how early you can pass through before scheduled flight time? Hell is it worth smiling sweetly at LGW and asking if they could check the luggage through. Trip isn't till end of October so hopefully things will have improved by then. If we can avoid having to touch our luggage at AMS are there any hacks for the transfer desks/ security. We're both Silvers so have priority security but I doubt that's a factor for transit desks/ screening.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance
You're not a transit pax. You have two separate bookings. Due to this, BA won't check through your luggage. You'll have to go through, collect your bags, and hang around until bag drop reopens (4 hours prior to departure) or head into 'Dam with bags and then return. This shouldn't be too cumbersome in Oct. as it is looking better now.