FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:49 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rasheed
Amazon is very big on no information sharing. This is why your Amazon confirmation emails don't indicate what you purchase (unlike any other online purchase anywhere) so that your email vendor (Google/Microsoft/Yahoo) cannot read what you are buying for marketing purposes. While we may in general understand that transactions don't typically have enough detail shared with the Wallets (which seems to be the term being used these days), I don't know what that means in detail (including support for e-receipts and other features).
I just looked at the email from yesterday's Amazon order. They don't list the items you just ordered, sure, but they do still show recommended items based on that order. I'm not sure how much better that is from an information-sharing perspective.

Originally Posted by rasheed
I could see Amazon wanting to exclude Apple and Google, but I can't see them offering Wallet support and leaving out some of the players. It is weird that physical card contactless works, but not the virtual wallets. That would seem to me to be active disablement not just not yet supported.
As mentioned above, the wording implies that they do plan on supporting NFC based mobile wallets at some point. Otherwise I would expect the wording to be significantly different or even disabled altogether like what other anti-mobile wallet retailers (e.g. Walmart) do. In fact, I'm kinda surprised contactless is enabled at all, really, given their previous Just Walk Out marketing and history in general.