FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:53 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Blumie
I parked in the short-term lot this morning (Saturday morning) at 5:45am for a 2-day trip and was surprised how crowded it was. I have another 2-day trip next Friday morning at the same time. There’s no chance I’ll be shut out of the short-term lot, is there?

For these quick trips the short-term lot prices out about the same as Uber and I prefer to drive myself.
I assume the overnight pattern is that late arrivals (after the last departures) vacate some spots. And then early morning departures fill those few spots up.

This past Friday morning, https://flymsy.com/parking/ showed the parking full (except the remote economy garage) when I first checked around 7 am. There had been a couple of hundred spots open the night before. When we actually arrived at the airport around 8:45, the garages were indeed full, and the entrances were blocked off preventing you from even looking for a single just-vacated spot. So yes, there's a risk of getting shut out. The earlier you go, the better your chances.

I suppose the good news is that schools start Aug 12, meaning fewer weekend leisure travelers after that, so maybe only a couple more weekends of full parking, until the winter holidays.