FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long-haul catering changes: announcement on 12 July
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:42 am
sondra_finchley

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by jejb
I too agree. I've actually always appreciated the way Delta does this with a trolley (at least pre-Covid). The first pass is to lay the table (cutlery and cloth) do the first drink and also give you the amuse bouche. They usually start from the Galley, so if you're conveniently placed, you get served first plus a top up as they come back up the aisle. Next trolley service is usually for soup, salad and starter, plus wines for top up. For the main course they tend to dispense with the trolley and just serve the mains individually as they come out of the ovens and then the final course is the cheese and dessert trolley along with port and dessert wine. Often they'll do a final trolley with tea, coffee and liqueurs. The whole thing gives you a definite feel of individual courses but is served from the trolley. Timing isn't usually a problem because everyone's finished the amuse bouche by the second trolley (it's usually small) and the individual serving of the mains means they can wait until you're done with soup, salad and starter before bringing the main. They don't usually start the dessert trolley until most of the cabin is done with mains.
Finnair has something like this going on now. I really liked it, it was fast but friendly and still personable to my selection. and it looked like it was easy enough for the crew to manoeuver the smaller carts in the aisles. SAS too - loved the pre meal cocktail trolley pre-Covid where they clearly had the special signature cocktail fixings on the top of the cart and it looked like a proper bar cart with a white cloth and everything. I dislike when specialty cocktails are advertised but it seems like too much trouble to ask the crew. because either the service flow or attitude is not amenable to delivery. And yes, damnit, sometimes I want other than a can of mixer and two bottles of mini gins plonked down on the tray in front of me along with a glass with a single cube.

CIHY - is it just food getting a refresh/reup or are there some aspects of the soft product too? A new amenity kit would be nice, but I think there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.