FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok 2022
Thread: Bangkok 2022
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:21 am
JezzaG

Policy & EC261

I spent an hour on the phone to the GGL team this morning trying to rebook my cancelled CW LHR-BKK-LHR flight in February 2023 booked with Avios and a 241 voucher.

After a long wait whilst they checked the "newly published policy" I was told the rebooking options were:

a) Commercial booking (i.e. cash) - rebook on QR in existing class with no restriction on fare bucket;

b) Avios booking - rebook on QR in existing class, BUT only if "I" fare bucket is available.

This was frustrating as QR have zero'ed out all "I" fare buckets for every day that I checked for every flight except the QR2 / QR838 and QR16/ QR838 both of which leave in the evening; meaning a change at 06:20 or 07:10 (which is 03:20 or 04:10 on my body clock) and then an old 777 with 2x2x2 seating.

Space is available in "J" fare bucket for the flights I want but they refused point blank, saying it was Qatar policy.

I tried citing EU261 and the CMA letter; stated that rebooking should be in same class and they should offer options that minimise passenger inconvenience; and that EC261 makes it clear frequent flyer and cash booking are treated equally - but no movement at all.

On escalation to the supervisor, he again said it was Qatar policy (eventually agreeing it was a BA policy) and said it was strange as the previous policy was "same class, any fare bucket whether commercial or Avios" both for this and the (not so recent) recent KUL cancellations. But again, no movement.

Seems surprising that BA implement a new more restrictive policy on the day the CMA and CAA warn the airlines of their responsibility!

Anyway he is escalating to the team which apparently deal with the policy, but I'm not hopeful.

Any advice and whether I can reasonable insist on a flight works for me?