FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rebooking final segment in multi-segment all AS metal award with stopover?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:47 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Isn't there a limit? One free change, sure... but now that that free change has been used, doesn't it revert to the usual "no changes after travel starts" for awards?

I would certainly still try, but it's always good to know whether you are entitled to what you are asking for, or if you are asking for an exception.
You can change AS award flights after a stopover, even after the award has commenced.

You can't change partner awards after the first segment is flown. However, if the stopover from a partner award is to AS metal, those can be changed.

With the abolishment of change fees (formerly waived for MVPG+) it makes sense to create a stopover and tack on another segment sometime in the future. Essentially a free segment that can be changed to accommodate at a later time.

I always have a handful of segments in my pocket. They make great repositioning flights. Currently, ATL-SEA(E), JFK-PDX(E)-PHX(T), JFK-SEA(E)-HNL(E) & LAX-ANC(T)

I am off to Sweden this week. I have a revenue J itinerary out of LAX. I booked an AS award YLW-SEA-LAX for 20K. I added a LAX-ANC segment for a random date in November for 0K more. I will see what fall/winter bring and adjust accordingly. ANC doesn't have to be the final destination.

AS awards aren't limited to 3 segments domestically & 4 segments internationally like AA. I have had 6. My flights to HNL are in September after a JFK stopover for a 27.5K partner F award that started in LIR in April.

James