FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:40 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Moving to something non standard strikes me as a terrible idea. If the bag ever ends up in the hands of anyone other than an AS agent they will have no idea what to do with it.

That barcode needs to be identical to what a printed barcode would be. "Standard" trumps "better" here.
I suspect it shows data that is compatible with standard paper bag tags. Even has the green bars for intra-Schengen trips.

And will other airlines adopt the same thing? Or will they have a similar yet app-wise incompatible solution so that I need a different one for every airline I fly? (I suppose they hope their elites don’t cheat on them, but…)

Another question: when using regular bag tags, there are those little bar codes that you or the agent is supposed to put on the various sides of the bag. Presumably to make it easier for scanners routing the bags in the bowels of an airport’s automatic baggage routing system. And perhaps as a backup if the big tag gets mangled/ripped off. This electronic tag doesn’t have that. Is that a concern, or do most people self-tagging their bags don’t know about those bar codes anyway or just have a collection of old barcodes on their bags?