FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:32 pm
isaacchambers

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
This is purely just a barcode and info displayed on a fancy etchy sketch tag; sent from your phone to the device. Shouldnt work any different across the network that the current plastic (its not actually fully paper and cannot be recycled very well right now). Scan the bag - the agent should know to reroute it - they can place a paper tag on the bag for reroute (over the display of the electronic tag).

The savings in time should be the time to print your bag tag at the kiosk....approach the drop off and go.
The airline saves a lot of bag tags in terms of waste. BUUT, what is the extra resources for a permanent bag tag plastic etc? Not sure on that balance.

I wouldnt mind one if it was free or marginal......say 10 bucks as its saving the airline a ton of money in terms of printing bag tags.

I would say a happy medium is sending some to thier MVP golds and above....or do a data analysis of who checks the most bags....send them free ones.....this is about paper/plastic reduction....not necessarily about your 1 min savings of time through the airport (well, if you can master the kiosk and know how to tag your own bag - it baffles me with seemingly capable people mystified on what to do with the tag they spit out of the kiosk - rip it and stick it!)

Also a point of issue with the video on the alaska blog - they put AS69 which isnt a flight to SEA from SJC as shown in the video....also they couldnt get a pic of the tag WITHOUT an AF/KL/LH flights on it? Also the flights on the bag in the video are backwards AS 15 originates in EWR - not the destination.....so the appropriate airport codes on the tag should have been TO: KTN (or JNU) via: SEA - Just saying.....then he drops his bag at what is clearly SJC.....anyway....

Last edited by isaacchambers; Jul 21, 2022 at 9:39 pm