FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:57 pm
alan11

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
NIMBY......in Japan.......say it isn't so.
I say this because my town does not have the infrastructure to cope, if only for the roads.

Every year pre-covid during Golden Week and Obon (and a few other holiday weekends) the roads would be jam packed with day trippers, mostly in long stagnant lines of vehicles waiting to simply park. The back-up at those times could be 2km long. However, there is no bypass route. This is along the main (and only) road through the area, so circumventing for just going about one's normal life means going around a couple mountains (so adding 45-60 minutes in drive time).

Ironically, people come here specifically in the belief they are escaping to the empty countryside... but at those times its probably more crowded than where they are coming from.

Yes, people here accept it during these holiday times, but to even have half that amount every day of the week would be a logistical nightmare. And I know that my town is not alone in such issues.