FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:24 pm
Dr Jabadski

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… military retiree healthcare …is Medicare (not free, appropriate premium for income) and Tricare for Life as no premium supplemental (Medigap) coverage. Tricare for Life covers all (including COVID) overseas medical care at 100% (less usual deductible). Problem is that these systems are so large and inefficient that it’s impossible to get verification/proof of insurance, “just show them your military ID”. ...
Complaint datapoint follow-up which might be helpful to other people: Spent another few hours on the phone last week attempting to get the required letter from TriCare. Not sure why, maybe because I thought it was something they SHOULD be able to provide after hearing from 2 different people that their medical insurance companies did so.

Spoke with several different people at Tricare, Tricare for Life, Tricare Overseas, DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System), Wisconsin Physicians Services (Tricare administrator) and Tricare Medicare. All told me to call someone else. One told me I couldn’t get such a letter because even though Tricare Overseas (automatic with Tricare for Life) says they cover all necessary medical care anywhere in the world, they review all claims and might NOT pay some claims .

My last call last week was to Tricare Overseas Area Office Eurasia, which I subsequently learned is located in Sembach Germany (where I actually spent 5 days debriefing and remobilizing 10 years ago on my way home from Afghanistan, interesting coincidence). Several phone menu options, including one for “Overseas Verification Letter.” That option leads to a recording stating to leave name, DOD benefits number and email address, I thought it was a classic recipe for failure.

Incredibly amazingly (think I have a concussion from falling out of my chair) I received an email today from Tricare Overseas office in Sembach Germany with an attached letter on "DEFENSE HEALTH AGENCY" letterhead stating (among other things):

“This letter is in response to your request for information regarding TRICARE medical coverage while living and/or traveling overseas, to include Israel. This is to certify that Dr Jabadski (DOD ID - 123456789; DOB 1 xxx 1901) is currently covered for health benefits under the TRICARE for Life for Retired Sponsors and Family Members Program.

Those eligible for TRICARE as shown in DEERS have comprehensive health care coverage for urgent and emergency care if they become ill or injured while traveling overseas. TRICARE will cover all medically necessary care related to the treatment of COVID-19. Routine care is to be accessed before traveling overseas. TRICARE beneficiaries can receive care from any host nation provider. Referrals for care aren’t needed; prior authorization is required for certain services. In an emergency, beneficiaries may seek treatment at the nearest emergency facility. They can contact a TRICARE overseas call center for medical assistance or to find a host nation provider. Beneficiaries may need to pay up front for care and file a claim for reimbursement.”

Related Teaching Point: In researching “annual multi-trip” travel insurance, I learned that Annual Travel policies cover mainly healthcare, with little or no traditional Trip Interruption/Cancellation/Delay/Lost Luggage coverage and are remarkably inexpensive, like $120 per year. Not sure of the quality of that coverage but might be helpful in situations when one just needs “proof” of coverage or when one is satisfied with credit card coverage but wants or needs additional healthcare coverage or when one “paid” for a trip mostly with points or miles (which makes travel insurance decisions more complicated).

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jul 18, 2022 at 2:32 pm Reason: clarification