FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:44 am
coffee18

I checked out yesterday after four nights. We had a great stay and this continues to be my LA hotel of choice. I'm a Discoverist and stayed on a Prive rate. My understanding is that both breakfast for Glob and Prive = $25/pp at the Canopy Club.

As the menu indicates: $25 is actually pretty comprehensive. Basically all items are covered, with a beverage. And I agree that in my experience the $25 was pretty soft -- I had went over by a few bucks and it was covered. The food was solid, not out of this world good, but a huge improvement over what was in Etta. We had the chia pudding, the fritters, and the smoothie bowl over several nights.

A few other notes about my stay. I am a Discoverist and had booked my rate via Live Luxe Travel Co -- as usual, the folks over there were wonderful to work with. I had booked a 1 King w/ Balcony; via Prive rate was confirmed into the next category the 1 King Studio, and then the week of check-in I was bumped two categories further into the 1 King Premium Suite w/ Balcony. Suffice to say, I was surprised -- and pleased.

And the room was pretty swell. My previous visit was when it first opened. You can definitely find some dings and scratches, but overall the room was in good condition. I thought the living room was not super comfortable -- they could benefit with more comfortable seating, decor, and the carpet in the living room was in terrible shape. My only other criticism was that the water pressure and temperature was weaker than that of our first stay-- I imagine that had to do with the fact that the prem suite was at the end of the hallway. My wife missed the make up area from the base room as well. None of these were deal breakers.

Finally, included in the Prive rate was a $50 hotel credit. Well-- the bad news was: you could only use the credit in Etta and the mini bar (which was sparse). Neither Canopy Club nor the bar downstairs are plugged into the system to charge the room. They are aware of this and told me they are going to get that up. The good news was that, intentionally or not, they took off $50 anyway from my total bill. I would not expect this going forward as that is not the intended use of the hotel credit, but it would not seem fair for me to criticize the credit without mentioning how it was ultimately applied anyway.