FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Damage waiver fee"
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:39 pm
bostontraveler

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by jayer
I'm not sure infrequent Hawaii visitors are understanding the situation well. IF you pull up Maui availability, you will get a few true hotels and a string of (mostly not that recent build) condominium complexes. It's not like Hyatt represents all or even most of the units in the complex. You will generally find Hyatt-bookable inventory limited as to room types and number of units. You may not even be checking in at an on-site Frond Desk. Not to mention they are telling you the terms of rental; not asking you to pick an option.

The complex we frequent with some regularity has very few "Hyatt" rooms. Most rent through Vrbo or Airbnb; something else similar, or even direct from the unit owner. If you want to go the deposit route those may be available to you. (Our "regular" unit owner will go deposit IF and only, you rent direct, if you have rented from her before, and she is comfortable with you. Otherwise, she insists on the insurance route).

The insurance thing is becoming more of the norm since it keeps the owner out of court trying to get blood out of a turnip if the damages exceed the deposit. Or if there is a dispute what the amount should be. (We met a woman on the beach who owned a unit around the corner from where we were renting. She was on-island that month dealing with a trashed unit being repaired).

Generally I prefer a hotel arrangement over a pseudo-hotel condo hybrid. PThis is one of the reasons why. But I suppose it can also be your protection from the renter from a dishonest unit owner trying to creatively refinance updates..
Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.
But quite frankly if Hyatt is selling it and earning revenue it should be the one carrying the insurance and dealing with the legalities- not offloading them onto the customer as a new revenue stream.
That’s the part I find obnoxious.
Fortunately this ever increasing long list of additional fees and charges is banned in a large part of the world.