FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Punitive compensation needed
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:10 am
Tafflyer

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
I'd settle for proper enforcement of passengers rights and heavy fines being levied on airlines that persistently deny passengers their rights.
This is the crux of the issue, EC261 is not effectively enforced. This is not just BA and not just the UK but wherever you look, national enforcement bodies hardly ever intervene and I have never heard of an airline being sanctioned for not fulfilling their obligations.

But we are where we are, and I doubt that anything we can do at this stage will change the attitude of the NEB's. In fact, I suspect the NEB's would probably plead staff shortages and lack of resources to effectively patrol this minefield. I have mentioned on here before and recently that I now also believe punitive measures should be activated. I'm not sure if weekly doubling of compensation by way of fines is generally the right way to proceed but a strong disincentive is required. How many employee hours at airlines are used by this constant unfair denial of compensation? How much faster would other people's claims be processed if the airline just paid up when due and only denied when not due.

The problem will be proving wilful deceit. Now, obviously some airlines have form for this, and BA is by no means the worst offender, and indeed honest mistakes can often be made, but where an obvious case is denied and then later proven, I do believe the burden on the airline should at least be doubled.

Now, the other question is, how many airlines would be in danger of going bust due to this. If, as I read and suspect might be correct, only 20% of compensation due is actually paid, this is potentially endangering the existence of some airlines.