FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The free TQP ride is over
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:54 am
Mr. BoH

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by musicalbox
Previous to mid-2021 or so you absolutely only got TQP's for 2x the cost of the ride itself (the "Travel Base Earn") and nothing else. You can actually search your transactions and see it for yourself. I did not often go BC or Acela back then because prices were higher but I can see zero TQP's for my tier multiplier or "Select Plus Point Bonus" as it used to be called.
This is half right. Tier multipliers never earned TQPs pre-covid. In early 2022, they started giving TQPs on the tier bonus but stopped in late May or early June. I actually had been assuming this was just a glitch, but perhaps it was a deliberate promo.

But class multipliers (business, first, etc) have absolutely always received TQPs. In fact, the Guest Rewards page specifically says this:

WHAT'S A TIER QUALIFYING POINT?
Tier Qualifying Points count toward your Amtrak Guest Rewards tier status and are earned each calendar year by traveling on Amtrak. You can receive additional TQPs by traveling in Business class or Acela First class.