FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:06 am
flyer_tom

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Hi everyone,

I've read all the various EC261 parts, and I think I'm eligible, but just wanted to see what the thoughts of the group are as at the moment BA seem to think otherwise.

I was due to fly GVA -> LHR on the 30th June on BA723 but the flight was cancelled about 8 hour prior to departure. Logged an EC261 claim a week or so ago and have just heard back that my claim has been denied as the cancellation was due to "Airspace Restrictions", which I'm not entirely sure I believe or at the very least has been twisted to try and avoid repayment..

Looking on FR24 it looks like the inbound plane from the night before never made it and was cancelled too - BA738 on 29 June due to be operated by G-EUOG. Plane landed from the flight before slightly delayed (20:31 instead of 19:50) but I would've thought still enough time to turn to make a (all be it delayed) GVA departure? So this to me seems to be the reason the BA723 was cancelled - the plane not being there! No GVA airspace restrictions in the morning as plenty of flight arriving and departing. The flight after ours to LHR was cancelled too, the BA727.

I was eventually put on the BA flight into LCY, but arrived at LCY well after 2 hours after the original scheduled arrival time, and that doesn't take into account getting back across to LHR!

I notice the LHR -> LYS flight left LHR at 23:30, so surely it can't be due to a noise curfew, airspace restriction or similar?

I checked for a cancellation code at the time on EF but couldn't see one and stupidly didn't check back as I didn't realise they disappeared after 48 hours or so!

I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be expecting the full 250 EUR amount, but what's the general FT consensus?

Thanks everyone as always!