FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Acceptance of BA E-tickets in Africa
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:54 pm
Andrius

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by tcook052
Just curious as to any firsthand feedback on how accepted or recognized E-tix are for BA flights into/out of Africa, specifically LHR-ACC-LHR. I expected an old fashioned paper ticket to arrive but received a faxed E-ticket instead. I know within Europe & N. America they are almost commonplace these days, but anyone think there'll be any waves created I should be expecting ex ACC or am I worrying about nothing?

You input is appreciated.
Last time I flew from ACC, I would not want to be there with an e-ticket. It's not that they would not let you board: if you're unlucky, they will just use it as another excuse to give you trouble.

Given that in Ghana they will ask you for a bribe given half a chance, this will actually be viewed as half a chance.

I agreed to pay about £750 for excess luggage last time which greatly surprised check-in staff because they insisted that they can give me "cash discount" (i.e., no receipt) and it would be only £200.00. I said no, they took me to BA office at Kotoka airport and made me wait half an hour and then charged by Amex (yes, 2250 points, thank you very much).

Then they had the gall to offer me "manager's special upgrade" to CW for £200. Again, this were to be on no-receipt basis. I again declined.

Then a dude loitering around passport control offered me an immigration form for $5.00. I pointed it to him that there were forms freely available on a desk ten metres away. He told me "they're no good" but I suggested he should go to look for somebody else to cheat.

Then again, Ghana is not Nigeria and you're unlikely to feel harassed to the point where you feel like you're not safe or about to miss a departure.