FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting to JFK for a 6 am flight
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:14 am
Blumie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Seconded.

I'm basically local (to JFK), for my last few flights from JFK I’ve gotten to the airport hours prior to flight time just to walk around the TWA Hotel (and visit the USO to get some fat pills* ), it has many museum type and quality displays. Every time I think about staying overnight but I like sleeping in my own bed and the enjoyment of an early morning no traffic drive to JFK outweighs an afternoon/evening rush hour drive and stay.

If you can get there early enough the prior day to explore, I highly recommend it. If you’re just going to be sleeping and showering probably not worth it. FWIW, TWA Hotel terminal entrance/exit is to/from the Jet Blue terminal, maybe only 4 minutes (even with luggage) .

Second (choice) seconded idea.

I’m not certain of NJ but from and to Westchester all tolls have been included in Lyft/Uber fares and added to taxi fares. At the time of day you’re describing there should be little traffic, rush hour onset in the metro area is about 6:15am, my drive to a hospital in NJ (over the GWB) was 40 minutes if I left home prior to 6:15, at 6:30 and after it was at least an additional 15-45 minutes. 6:15 to 6:30 is a crapshoot.

When headed for a once a day flight I plan for as few “getting to the airport” problems as possible, I’m very hesitant to rely on public transportation, never know when a subway shooting or delay or outage will ruin you day. Lyft and Uber may be the most convenient (schedule ahead of time) and have the easiest back-up plans (one fails, call another or the other). Figure I’m only making a once-a-day flight every once-in-a-while, it’s worth the added cost. Completely different planning than for a LGA-ORD flight or JFK-MIA flight.

(fat pill: (noun) A doughnut or other small sweet pastry. Example: If you keep scarfing down those fat pills your derriere is gonna need it's own zip code. )
I don’t know the statistics, but I’m guessing a Lyft or Uber breakdown or accident is more likely to cause a delay than a subway shooting. YMMV